Jun 15, 2011

Hirschy

I am a big fan of auction houses.  I've purchased many wares at auctions for myself and for clients, always thrilled with the chase of the item and usually thrilled that I managed to buy something way below it's cost value.

One of my favorite houses in NY is Doyle on the Upper East Side.  Doyle offers @Home auctions every few months and I almost always find something amazing, like cannot-live-without-it-I'm-serious-I-will-explode-if-this-isn't-mine-by-the-end-of-the-day-type of amazing things at these auctions.  Many of the items are from the estates of collectors of fine art, furnishings, rugs or table goods.  I have seen an entire suite of pristine antique silver go for just a handful of dough.  Crazy.
Self-portrait. Hirschfeld at work.

The upcoming Doyle @Home auction is that of the Estate of Al Hirschfeld.  I looooove Al Hirschfeld.  I have an entire board on Pinterest dedicated to illustrators, and Hirschfeld is one of the best.  His satirical drawings have appeared in the drama pages for over sixty years.  His caricatures have graced countless magazine and news covers, and his style has been widely emulated by illustrators that followed him.  

Doyle is hosting an auction of Hirschfeld's estate on June 22nd.  If you're local, go check out the pieces in person; you can browse the auction floor and see these pieces up close before the auction on preview days June 18-21. If you're out of the NYC area, you can bid online.  Wouldn't it be so neat to own one of his original caricatures or a piece of his studio furniture?!?
Leather & wood captain's chair

Judy Garland

Glass & Brass side table.  Very Eileen Grey, non?
Elton, Barry, Dolly, Frank, Bing, Tina and Crosby/Stills/Nash. 

Biedermeier Walnut Cabinet

Audrey in Hat

Bust


A collection of antiquarian books

Woody Allen
His iron & wood studio drafting table
Want to own a little history?  Then I'll see you at the auction!
Cheers,
Whitney

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...