Sep 6, 2011

The Spanish Inspiration

A few months ago, I received a sweet surprise gift from my client Aubrey in California.  She had attended the Balenciaga & Spain exhibit at the de Young Fine Arts Museum in San Francisco, and bought me this pocket journal as a keepsake.  The exhibit ran from March through July, and my not-so-secret man-crush Hamish Bowles was the guest curator. 


What a delightful gift, even though it reminded me that I missed the exhibit's tour in New York over the winter at the Queen Sofia Spanish Institute.  Earlier this week, when I brought out the journal to take some notes on measurements, I was so delighted to be complimented on my little treasure.  Hey, it's the only piece of Balenciaga I own!

Cristóbal Balenciaga was the essential haute couture master.  In fact, he never created a ready to wear collection.  His works in the fashion industry made a significant social  impact on Europe and the Americas, translating Spanish culture, history, and traditions through his art. 







The designer.

Balenciaga's innovative silhouettes & vibrant interpretations completely transformed the way women dressed. His obsessive craftsmanship was epic; if he was unsatisfied with his work, Balenciaga would literally tear it apart.  His works were born in his Paris fashion house in 1937, created there until his retirement in 1968, but forever remained Spanish.  I'm inspired...  how about you?

It's a short week.  For the next 4 days, let's all put some regal Spanish style into our strut.  Balenciaga would be proud. 
Cheers,
Whitney

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...